Saturday 8 July 2017

Review of Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher

"You can’t stop the future. 
You can’t rewind the past.
The only way to learn the secret . . . is to press play.

Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a strange package with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers several cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker–his classmate and crush–who committed suicide two weeks earlier. Hannah’s voice tells him that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out why. 

Clay spends the night crisscrossing his town with Hannah as his guide. He becomes a firsthand witness to Hannah’s pain, and as he follows Hannah’s recorded words throughout his town, what he discovers changes his life forever."

I've had this book on my to read list for years. I've even had a copy of this book for years but wasn't sure when to get around to it. As soon as Netflix advertised the series I knew I'd have to read it. It's only a quick read. I was expecting so much from this book but felt that it didn't really deliver.

Hannah's character seems to think she's the victim throughout the book but towards the end she's as bad as some of the people she blames. She also don't seem to care about how her actions affect others, especially as she uses people to get what she wants. She also annoyed me as she don't take responsibility for any of her actions.

I did like the ending with Skye. Even though it don't give you a reason as to why he wants to talk to her it gives readers the chance to come to their own conclusions.

I also liked the comparison to a snowball. How all the little things snowballed together.

3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment