Wednesday 19 April 2017

Review of Two By Two by Nicholas Sparks

"At 32, Russell Green has it all: a stunning wife, a lovable six year-old daughter, a successful career as an advertising executive and an expansive home in Charlotte. He is living the dream, and his marriage to the bewitching Vivian is the center of that. But underneath the shiny surface of this perfect existence, fault lines are beginning to appear...and no one is more surprised than Russ when he finds every aspect of the life he took for granted turned upside down. In a matter of months, Russ finds himself without a job or wife, caring for his young daughter while struggling to adapt to a new and baffling reality. Throwing himself into the wilderness of single parenting, Russ embarks on a journey at once terrifying and rewarding—one that will test his abilities and his emotional resources beyond anything he ever imagined."

OMGOSH!!! Where do I start???

As a huge fan Nicholas Sparks books I was looking forward to his latest novel. However I came away rather confused. It is so different from his earlier books. Sometimes a change is needed but I don't think it worked.

At times I did feel sorry for Russ but then found myself wanting to shout at him and tell him to stand up for himself when Vivian was always trying to get what she wanted. I hated her character so much, she was so manipulative.

There were so many inconsistencies that I threw the book down with annoyance quite a few times. for example;

"They've got some good programs for kids, including tennis. Its three days a week at nine in the morning." pg. 76

Then...

"And starting next week, tennis camp, on Mondays, Tuesdays and Thursdays at eight" pg. 85

Seriously...what time is Tennis camp?

Also "On Monday, London's last day of school before winter break"

Next page "Tuesday, December twenty second was London's last day of school before winter break"

Really...

On the plus side I did love London and Marge. London seemed like such a sweet girl. I did question at times who was watching her though when Russ was out running and there was no one home with her when she was asleep.

I will admit I did cry when it came to Marge. She was such a witty character.

Credit to Sparks, he still knows how to pull at heartstrings. I think I must cry at all his books.

3/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment