Wednesday 22 October 2014

Review of The Fault in our Stars by John Green

“Despite the tumour-shrinking medical miracle that has bought her a few years, Hazel has never been anything but terminal, her final chapter inscribed upon diagnosis. But when a gorgeous plot twist named Augustus Waters suddenly appears at Cancer Kid Support Group, Hazel's story is about to be completely rewritten.

Where do I start? I have never been so disappointed by a book that sounds like it could have been a really great book. Maybe I should never read books based on the hype. This book had so much promise but just fell completely flat. I couldn’t wait to finish this book (only because I wanted to read a different one). Poor writing skills, poor dialogue either of these things is never a good sign but for a book to have both. Also having three people talking and only using one set of speech marks, really?

This is the first book I have read by this author and more than likely it will be the last book I will read of his. The characters are unrealistic and I wasn’t moved by this story (I have read other books on this subject matter and will admit I have been moved to tears).

For some reason the author seemed to be trying to write two books in one. What was with all the ‘An Imperial Affliction’ writing? It just made the book drag on even more. None of the characters are likeable especially not Van Houten. There is depth whatsoever in any of the characters. Also the dialogue from Hazel and Augustus is unrealistic, teenagers don’t talk like that. Also the characters came across as wise beyond their years. Hazel is also very annoying and seems to think that the world revolves around her, making demands when she meets Van Houten like he owes her explanations.

It is obvious from the start of the book that either of the main characters was going to die. Even this section of the book was written with no depth and no emotional content.

Overall......I wouldn’t recommend this book to anyone!!!

1/5 stars

No comments:

Post a Comment